Mission & Vision
The Mission of a Visionary
Established by The GRD Trust, Dr. G.R. Damodaran College of Science (Autonomous), has emerged as a fitting memorial to Prof. G.R. Damodaran (1914 - 1986), one of the greatest educational visionaries and Institution builders of our Country. Over a period of four decades from 1943, he dedicated himself to the cause of education especially in the fields of Science, Engineering, Technology and Management and had made unparalleled contributions to educational development both quantitatively and qualitatively while nurturing the PSG group of Institutions as outstanding centres of educational excellence in the Country. He made pioneering efforts for reorganizing and developing Technical and Management Education at the all India level, as the Chairman of several Committees and Boards constituted by the Government of India and, at the regional level, as Chairman of the Southern Regional Committee of the All India Council for Technical Education. During his tenure of the membership of the Lok Sabha and the Tamilnadu Legislative Council spanning over two decades and during his Vice-Chancellorship of the composite University of Madras, Prof. G.R. Damodaran served the cause of educational development at all levels with rare dedication, commitment and outstanding creativity.
Genesis and Growth
Vast expansion of scientific knowledge and its large scale exploitation through technology and the growing globalisation trends have had a tremendous impact on the socio-economic development of our Country. New forms of social and economic behaviour and structures have been rapidly emerging in the past few decades giving rise to newer educational challenges. It was in anticipation of this changing context that the Dr. G.R. Damodaran College of Science (Autonomous) was established with a view to cater to the needs of the youth in this part of the Country for offering a remarkable quality career oriented education in various emerging fields.
The College, started in the year 1988, is Autonomous affiliated to the Bharathiar University and recognized by the UGC, approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (for the MBA and MCA Courses).
In the thirty two years since its commencement, the College has grown from 27 students in two UG courses to over 4220 Students in numerous Under Graduate, Post Graduate and research (M.Phil. / Ph.D.) programmes in many of the modern and emerging professional and scientific disciplines.
Dr. G. R. Damodaran College of Science conceives its role as a multidimensional knowledge endeavour comprising several knowledge-related activities which have their distinct goals, concerns and functions and yet are synergistic. The College seeks to achieve quality in this totality and has adopted the following mission statement:
Dr. G. R. Damodaran College of Science shall strive for relevance and excellence in Education through:
- Maintenance of a progressive and futuristic outlook in development by making choices favouring emerging areas of high growth potential and expanding opportunity.
- Design of courses, instructional methodologies and experiential learning to equip students with creativity and problem solving skills, to prepare them for rewarding careers and professions and to face challenges in a rapidly changing world.
- Creation of facilities and programmes of advanced studies, research and development in appropriate emerging areas of national importance and global significance.
- Involvement with the community around through outreach programmes including non formal and continuing education, consultancy and extension, dissemination and transfer of technology, scientific projects of social significance, and other interactions with industry, business and other groups.
- Continual growth in the quality and range of offerings and activities through the innovative augmentation, updating and modernisation of facilities, faculty and programmes.